Getting a good education is one of the keys to leading a happier and more successful life. But sometimes, the cost of that education can be a burden that follows you for years after you graduate.Making large loan payments cannot only put a damper on your career aspirations, but they can also impact you emotionally as well as financially. While it’s always best to find ways to be diligent and repay your loans, there are times when that’s not possible, and you need to seek relief.Depending on the type of loans you have and the problems you are undergoing, you may be able to have your federal student loans forgiven, canceled or discharged.Here is a brief overview of those circumstances:School closure – If your school closes while you’re enrolled and you can’t complete your course of study because of the closure.Total and Permanent Disability Discharge – If you become totally and permanently disabled and you have had this condition for at least 60 months, you may be discharged from repaying Direct Loans, FEEL Loans or Perkins Loans.Death Discharge – If the borrower dies, then their federal student loans will be discharged. This also may apply to Parent Plus loan borrowers.Bankruptcy – You may be able to have a student loan discharged in the course of bankruptcy if you can show that repaying the student loan would cause you undue financial hardship.Unpaid refund discharge – If you withdraw from a school, but the school did not pay a loan refund to the U.S. Department of Education or to the lender, then the unpaid refund may be discharged.Teacher loan forgiveness – A partial forgiveness may apply to teachers who have been teaching in low-income schools for five consecutive years.Public service loan forgiveness – If you work in certain public service jobs and have made at least 120 payments on your Direct Loans, the remaining balance may be forgiven.Perkins loan cancellation – Federal Perkins Loans may be forgiven for some people who perform certain types of public service or who work in certain occupations, such as volunteering in the Peace Corps or if you are a member of the law enforcement or nursing professions.Hoverson Law Offices proudly serves the city of Minneapolis and surrounding Minnesota communities.