It’s not uncommon for students who have borrowed money to attend college to find themselves struggling to make loan payments after graduation. It continues to be a financially crippling overhang for many people who have recently entered the workforce and are trying to make ends meet on an entry level or mid-level salary.Even though you made a commitment to pay back your student loans based on the terms set forth in your agreement, there are several ways you can get help and achieve some form of student loan debt relief. Depending on your situation and the types of loans you have, you might be eligible for more favorable repayment terms or you might be able to have your loan forgiven.If you have a federal student loan, you may be able to have your loan modified to an income-driven repayment plan. Under this agreement, your payments will vary based on how much income you make. As your career path turns upward and you make more money, you’ll be able to pay a greater share of your loan in a shorter timeframe.Another possible option is to seek deferment or forbearance. Under this agreement, you have the option to postpone making loan payments until you are better situated financially. A word of caution here is that just because you are not making payments, it does not mean that interest on your loans will not continue to accumulate because it will.You can also seek a loan consolidation. As you progressed throughout your college days, chances are you acquired several different college loans. Under this program, you can combine all of your existing loans and the result will be one single monthly payment instead of numerous payments each month. You might be able to extend the repayment time frame to add additional years, easing your burden, but the trade-off is that you will end up paying more interest over the course of the loan.For some borrowers, loan forgiveness or a loan discharge may be an option. This is fairly limited depending on your circumstances, but if you are employed in certain jobs, become disabled, or if you meet some other criteria, you may be able to stop making payments completely.Hoverson Law Offices serve clients in Minneapolis, Bloomington and other nearby Minnesota communities.