How to find the right bankruptcy attorneyPosted on August 18, 2016 by Michael Hoverson
If you’re experiencing financial difficulties to the point that you need to file for bankruptcy, the last thing you need to do is to pick the wrong attorney and make things worse for yourself.
In Minneapolis, there are several qualified bankruptcy attorneys who can serve your interests well. But just like with other important decisions in life, there is a process you should follow to make sure you get the best possible representation.
- Look for a bankruptcy specialist. Although this may seem obvious, many law firms cast a wide net and handle many types of legal matters, not just bankruptcies. While you may find someone who is credible and competent in a firm such as this, you’ll do better if you focus on an attorney and a firm whose primary practice area is bankruptcy.
- Contact the Minnesota State Bar Association. The state bar association will have a referral service that can provide a number of leads to attorneys who specialize in bankruptcies in the greater Minneapolis area.
- Check to see if the attorney you are considering is a member of the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA). This organization also offers many resources for people who are deep in debt.
- Contact your local bankruptcy court to see if they keep a list of local practicing bankruptcy attorneys in the greater Minneapolis area. These are typically offered as a convenience to consumers and not an endorsement, so be careful to do your homework on an attorney you are given through this process.
- Interview attorneys who offer a free initial consultation. This will allow you to make sure you are comfortable with the attorney, their credentials and how they interact with you. Doing so will allow you to make the best possible decision for an important life matter you will be asking them to assist you with.
Hoverson Law Offices proudly serves the city of Minneapolis and surrounding Minnesota communities.